This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

#408 Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

3720975

 A little girl, Willow, was born with a brittle bone disease.  She broke her bones so frequently it became the norm of this family.  I think she said by first grade she had 75 broken bones.  Her disease caused conflict with the family as they couldn't pay all their bills, the mother was constantly stressed out and concerned when the next break would be, the older daughter felt neglected and didn't have any self-worth as all the attention went to Willow and the parents viewed things differently as well. 

Charlotte, the mother, decided to file a wrongful birth suit against her best friend, which also happened to be her obstetrician that delivered Willow.  I think the book was written to make the reader wonder, did she wish she had aborted Willow to avoid this lifestyle?  Or was it all about the money?  Did she just need the money to pay for Willow's care?  I never questioned any of these things, I knew it was the money.  I suppose this is typical Picoult fashion to make the reader think and wonder; was she justified to take her best friend to court, split her family up, make her an enemy in public's eye just so she could afford to care for her disabled child? 

I really disliked this book.  I felt the story redundant as it was told in 5 different point of views so each situation was shared over and over, but by someone else. However, never different.  I kept waiting for something big to happen and I never got it. 

I guess the idea of the book is to Handle with Care the things you truly love and care about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment