This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

#17 First Love by James Patterson

First Love

Karen has several James Patterson books on her list.  I am sure someone recommended them to her, just not sure who.  I picked this one to read.  I haven't read any of James Patterson books other than maybe one of his Middle School books with one of my kids.  I am suspicious of James Patterson and his books because he has way too many out at once and no author can write that many books and publish that many without a lot of help.  I see this one has Emily Raymond as a co-author and after reading about her I see she's a ghost writer for young adult books.  I have a feeling Patterson has many ghost writers, but puts his name real big on top, bigger than the title, like the one above, so more books sell.  That just rubs me wrong so on principle I just avoid his books, but I chose to read Karen's books so by golly, I will read some of his books.

This was a super fast and easy read.  I didn't know what it was about, but like other reviewers have said, it's a Fault in the Stars type book.  Both characters are sick and so they decide to go on a road trip and make the best of their last days together. 

What I didn't like about the book is how it lacked detail.  I felt the writing was so amateur and immature.  It annoyed me.  The book could have been a good one if more was shared such as the surroundings, the people, more character development, etc...  None of that.  Just a super fast read.  Maybe that's how Patterson gets so many books written so quickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment