This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

The First Phone Call from Heaven Mitch Albom #37






Probably because I'm an absolute idiot this was my first book I chose to read off of Karen's Goodreads list. To say it was difficult subject matter thinking about death, loss and the people left behind dealing with it during this time is an understatement. I had to put the book down many times to just well - breathe. 

The book itself is just not my style of book at all. It read more like a Lifetime movie and you want to just roll your eyes at just how predictable it is. But just like a Lifetime movie it is also like a guilty pleasure of letting it pull at your heartstrings and suck you into the story of these people's lives. 

The book is mainly about just what the book says people in the town getting phone calls from heaven from loved ones who have previously passed away. These phone calls are handled in many different ways grateful to hear from their loved ones, anger for feeling like someone is pulling a mean prank and one just becomes depressed as every time she talks to her son she just wants him there with her. She felt like it had pushed her back to square one in her grieving process. This made me of course think about getting a phone call from Karen. I initially thought of course I would want one but then after reading this quote in the book I had other thoughts: 

No more calls. There is a time for hello and a time for goodbye. 

She realized that she had gotten to the point that she had was doing good with the closure and knowing that she would someday see her son again. She didn't need to be reminded where her son was she had no question she knew he was in heaven. I can see her point. I know where my friend is and I know she is so happy and pain free there. I know Karen knew I loved her and we will see each other again. I know when my time comes she will be one of the first people to greet me with the words - it's about time come over and give me a hug friend! 






No comments:

Post a Comment