This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown - #10






This book was beautifully written. I decided to listen to this book in audio version as I was carpooling my kids here and yonder. I enjoyed it this way as there was a lot of detail about how the weather felt that day or the light off the water. I could just feel like I was there as I was driving. 

I may be partial to a book on this subject matter because it was all set right in my neck of the woods. It was based on the University of Washington rowing team that was so successful it actually won the gold in the Berlin Olympics. Which if you remember that time period was during the Hitler time period. So that was a very interesting Olympics to be a part of. 

I adore historical fiction and of course loved learning more about what it was like in a different era right where I live now. Boy oh boy were times different going to University of Washington in their day. Seattle was nothing like the city it is today. But the boys on this rowing team worked SOOO hard to get where they were and lived a lifetime staying connected by this magnificent accomplishment. It reminded me a lot of our group of friends. Very different people but still have stay connected and I suspect this passing of a friend we all held so dear to our hearts make us even closer. 

I think Karen would have enjoyed this book as she loved sports and stories of overcoming great odds. I think you guys should all add this one to your list to read and I highly recommend doing the audio version.

1 comment:

  1. I am #12 or something at the library for this one. Looks good. Can't wait to read it.
    ~Mandy

    ReplyDelete