This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos #343



Love Walked In was the first book I read "with Karen".  When I saw it on her 'to-read' list and knew I had a copy I decided to dive right in.  It's not a conventional love story by any mean.  It's about a young woman and a lost girl and how their relationship strengthens each other. 

I have no idea if she would have liked it or not, but I like to think she would have enjoyed it.  I wish I could have discussed this one with her and share my favorite passages with her and I guess I can, right here.  So, here are a couple that moved me or made me smile.

"I want my mommy."

"I thought about those words, how they contained so much more than they seemed to contain, more than any four words could hold.  They meant what they meant and were also a universal cry, maybe the universal, plaintive, openhearted cry for comfort.  Soldiers in the heat of battle; death-row prisoners; explorers stranded in deserts, jungles, on mountaintops; anyone sick or lost or just tired and bewildered: we all wanted our mothers.  I thought about my own mother - straight - backed, eternally smiling, never without tissues, Band-Aids, lipstick, aspirin, optimism and reassurance.  Mothers - why didn't they all collapse under such weight?"  page 56

While reading this book for Karen and seeing how she was a mother, a devoted mother, this quote touched me, a lot. 


"I mean, if you gave some guy the assignment of creating a woman using as little material as possible but without cutting any corners, he'd make you." page 219

Karen, the romantic, I thought you'd appreciate this one.  I know it made me smile. 


~Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment