This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Are you There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume #249






I'm actually surprised I never got around to reading this book as I was a huge fan of Judy Blume when I was middle school age. Who knows maybe Smithton library didn't have this one? 

This is a sweet story about a 6th grade girl that has many conversations with God. She is a bit confused about religion as her parents have not brought her up in any religion. They have decided to let her make that decision for herself. Before she goes to bed each night she starts with Are you there God its me, Margaret. She doesn't realize it but she is praying. 

I enjoyed this story of a girl at that age and what she is going through. Being a preteen is tough stuff. But I have to say my favorite line in the book is when she decides to check out temple with her Jewish Grandmother. 

Are you there God? It's me, Margaret. I'm going to temple today-with Grandma. It's a holiday. I guess you know that. Well, my dad that thinks it's a mistake and my mother thinks the whole idea is crazy, but I'm going anyway I'm sure this will help me decide what to be. I've never been inside a temple or a church. I'll look for you God. 

How sweet is that? She is trying so hard to find her way. She never does come to an exact resolution at the end of the book but I leave the book thinking God will help Margaret find a church home for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment