This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Monday, June 29, 2015

#336 A Tree Grows In Brooklyn





I am so excited to post about this book. I had started to read it a few years ago. I put it aside as it was hard to get into. I knew it was one of Mandy's favorites, I knew it would be good. When Lori, Mandy and I were in Brooklyn together Mandy made mention of the book often. Oh how I wish I had read it before our trip together. It would've been fun to walk around Williamsburg together and imagined Francie walking the same streets we walked on. The stories we could've made up while we were there. While reading this I was caught up in imagining where their apartment, the schools, the church, were. I want to go back --what do ya say Mandy??

This is a story of a girl who grows up in Williamsburg,  a neighborhood in the borough of Brooklyn, NY, in 1916. Her life is not an easy life, her father who she adores struggles to earn enough to support both his family and his drinking habit. Her mother works herself ragged  cleaning apartment buildings.
Francie and her brother Neeley, collect scrap metal to turn in for pennies.
All Francie wants is to go to school, and become a writer. When tragedy strikes their family her dreams are dismissed as she realizes what she must do in order to help where she can.

The story for me had many different themes, I'm curious what others come up with as they read this.
I think Karen would have enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment