This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

#331 Maximum Ride by James Patterson

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)

This was a bit better than the last Patterson book I read, Witch and Wizard . Both are in my library's Young Adult section, but this one feels like it was written for young adults, while the other felt like it was written for a younger audience (or for the mentally challenged). Basically, this one doesn't have the condescending tone that I was picking up from the other; it seems to treat the reader like a normal (if younger) adult.

The book does have the same annoying thing where Patterson takes a known entity - in this case, a well-known toy store and a ritzy New York restaurant - and changes its name slightly. FAO Schwartz becomes AFO Schmidt, and Tavern on the Green becomes Garden Tavern. I have no idea why Patterson does this, and it's possible the average teen reader wouldn't catch it, but it's annoying nonetheless.

To be honest, I was a little bit bored with the story. The "flock" does a lot of wandering around, lost and clueless, broken up occasionally by being attacked by the Erasers. I'm intrigued by Jeb and what his relationship is to the kids, especially to Max, and I'm a bit curious to know what happens next. But am I curious enough to read more of the series? I'm not sure.


Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment