This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

#390 The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

101299

I thought I had read this one in the past, but I guess not.  It's a very short read about a young boy that has an affair with an older woman and how it affects his life.  This book received rave reviews, was a successful movie with A-list actors and loved by many.  I guess I just don't fall into that category.  I felt the story was disturbing. The boy is my son's age and the woman is my age.  The affair the two had together disgust me and just so inappropriate. 

The woman leaves the boy one day without a word and he blames himself for years for her disappearance.  He feels he must have done something wrong for her to leave without saying a word.  He later finds out why she felt she needed to leave, but not soon enough to have ruined his life.  He was never able to have a normal relationship after she left and distanced himself from everyone. 

The book was well written.  I did enjoy that part, but the story....just depressing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment