This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Thursday, September 3, 2015

#11 My Name is Resolute by Nancy E. Turner

17934498


This was Karen's last book she added before passing away.  I had added it to my own list awhile back (as I am a fan of Nancy E. Turner) and was excited to read her latest novel.  When I saw it was Karen's last entry I wanted to read it even more.

First, what a book.  So rich with history and the way Turner develops these characters one can't help but feel close to them.  She brings them alive like no other author I have ever read. 

The book is long.  Nearly 600 pages and it's not a quick read.  It's not meant to be, but one to be read slowly so the reader can digest it all and think about each character and the happenings of the specific era.  There's so much going on from the early 1700's to the late 1700's.  There are pirates, kidnappings, slavery (buying and selling), Indians, war upon war and name-dropping such as John Hancock, Paul Revere, George Washington (to name just a few) and as you read about all of these things you develop a fondness for Resolute and her large family. 

As I read this book I found myself totally sucked into history and wishing I had learned so many of the trades the women knew and I also wanted to bake more!  Ha!  I don't even enjoy baking.  I just love how they took care of their own, but saying that, I'm so thankful to be born in the present time.  The things the people of the 18th century had to deal with and all of the early deaths due to lack of antibiotics and such...so sad. 

It was interesting learning what the women did at the time of the Revolutionary War and how they contributed to it, too. 

Nancy E. Turner is truly a gifted story-teller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment