This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Monday, May 4, 2015

#334 Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

1845


I just picked this one up under the new release section at my library and didn't even realize it was one of Karen's until I had already started it.  I love it when that happens!

This is a biography about a young man named Chris McCandless.  McCandless was a very intelligent guy that seemed to have some demons he was fighting.  We learn he had "daddy issues" and never learned to forgive his father for the things he had done, but held on to that resentment and anger and let it fuel his escapades. 

In a way I could relate with his way of thinking of wanting to be free, go travel the world, leave everything behind, escape to where no one knows you and start over.  I think everyone has those thoughts a time or two, but few really act on them.  Chris McCandless did.  We learn later that Chris McCandless ends up dying in Alaska from starvation.  People assume it was suicide.  I can't help but think, surely there's a better way to kill oneself than starvation, but what do I know?

The book goes into the author's story and this is when it loses me.  Why?  The author starts to share how he can relate with McCandless and tells the reader why by sharing his life story, his adventure and his own issues with his father.  I was confused.  Why is this important?  I don't know... so I started to skim the last couple chapters and then I felt bad!  Karen always had to finish a book she started and here I was skimming one of her books!  Forgive me Karen. 

I've read another book similar to this one a few years back where the young man gave up money all together to live on his own, without rules, without family, without a care in the world and the author followed this man and lived his lifestyle for sometime.  It was interesting to see how appealing it could be to live like this!  Although, I can't get over the thought of how selfish this behavior is to leave your family wondering, what happened?  How painful it must be for the parents and siblings not knowing and always hoping they will come home, but never do, just because they don't want to live a traditional life.  I can't help but wonder, "Was it worth it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment