This Blog is Dedicated to our dear friend Karen.
When she left this life she left a hole in our hearts as well as several to be read books.
We, her friends, will read these books for her.
This blog will be a sort of book club for us to post our thoughts and feelings about the stories and feelings we have of Karen while we read.

Saturday, December 19, 2015

#64 Second Honeymoon by James Patterson

16131072

I... have nothing bad to say about this book. The dialog is great, there are no plot holes, and it was an enjoyable read. If I were to have one little quibble, it's this: the story deals with two serial killers - one who is killing newlywed couples on their honeymoons, and one who is killing men named John O'Hara (and is, obviously seeking revenge against the narrator). There are times I got the two plot lines mixed up a bit, but that was through no fault of the authors; I take full blame for not paying closer attention. Otherwise, as I said, this was a great read.

I don't know if it's the fact that Patterson has a co-author on these two honeymoon books, or if - these being written far more recent than the Alex Cross books I've recently read - but these have been far and away better than most of the other Patterson books I've read. The female FBI agent in this book was a pleasant, fully-developed character, similar to Lindsay in the Women's Murder Club books, and not some two-dimensional damsel-in-distress or ice queen like so many other of Patterson's female characters. The constant, gratuitous sexual situations that were so much a part of the first Honeymoon book (and many other of Patterson's books) are missing from this second one, and the book doesn't suffer for it.

This book gives me renewed hope for my mission of reading all the Patterson material that was in Karen's to-read list. I'll jump back into that material soon, but first, I'm taking a short break to read some things by other authors.  

~Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment